Friday, January 8, 2010

"My Mark"




So, today my baby is seven. SEVEN. Did you read that? 'Cause I'm going to type it again.....SEVEN. It's obviously very hard for me to wrap my mind around. However, I saw a little tiny guy the other night and said to Luke, "Do you remember when ours was that little?" We both thought for a moment and realized, that no, we really didn't. And I've decided while I hate that my son is growing up and I can't remember every single little thing about it, I'm loving the person he is becoming. Here are some reasons why.

He might be little, but he has a big damn heart. My son LOVES, and he loves hard. I still get hugs, and kisses, and snuggles. Even at the soccer field in front of all the other kids. You see, he loves me and he doesn't care who knows it. There are those of you out there that have been on the receiving end of his love and know what I'm talking about. He loves you to death while you are here and cries when you leave. He crawls in bed with you and takes your arm and positions it "just so", the way he likes to be held. Nope, I can't remember when he was tiny, but I love that he loves me.

I love that he is all boy. He wrestles and yells and makes a mess; it's great! Where would I be without Lego ships, playdough food, and pictures of space battles. I remember I resisted his "boyness". He didn't have guns or war action figures. He played dolls with his sister when he was little. And yet, he would nibble his cheese that he was eating into a 'gun' and shoot me with it. You haven't lived until your 2-year-old has shot you with cheese. And don't get me started on the noises he makes; you obviously have to have a 'stick' to make those. I've tried, he's showed me, and I just CAN'T. It is so cool to have a 'little' person in your life that adds so much just by being him.

And yet despite his obvious boy dirt and grime, he still asks to see my pretty toes when I get back from a pedicure with Aunt Val. He'll drink out of the Littlest Pet Shops water bottle and wear the pink jacket. What does he say when you point out these are obviously "girl" things? "No, it's just a jacket; who cares what color it is?" What planet it this kid from? Where ever it is, his future wife will thank me. He knows the value of people and things and where they all fit. He makes my life easier when I need him to, mostly, and I LOVE that about him.

In summary, my son is more than the sum of his parts. And I love every damn one of them.

Moral of the story: Happy Birthday, Mark. Some days I didn't think we'd make it this far, but here we are, and today, you are my absolute favorite.

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I don't remember to much about when Mark was little, but I do remember the first time I held him. It had taken me like almost forever to drive across state, I finally got there and you were feeding Mark...I sat in one of Memaw's chairs and when you were finished, your Mom took him, wrapped him ever so tightly in a blanket and handed him to me...he was oh so perfect...I hope I never forget that moment, my perfect little nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just so unique that there is a BOY in our family, and such a loving, sweet rowdy, noisy, energetic one! We all love you, and even though we don't want you to get older, you make us so proud of the young man you are becoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I love that everytime I come you ask if I am coming early and then jump up and down when I get there. Then you want me back when I leave. I really had fun with you at 6, what are we going to do now that you are seven? And, BTW like I tell your sister every Sept. 6th, this is absolutley, not kidding, I really mean it, your last birthday. No turning 8. I'm putting my foot down (on your head).:-)

    ReplyDelete