So, I'm tired of the number my scale keeps giving me. It needs to find a new one. The trouble is, the one it finds always seems to be HIGHER than the last crappy one it gave me. I've seriously considered throwing the thing out and just being surprised next time I visit someone that has a "number friendly" scale.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not going for the 'emaciated super-model' look. I don't want to come anywhere near the word 'skinny'. I don't have the right frame for that. I just want something that is as far away from 'plump' as I can get. Yes, I said 'plump'; it's what Rachel called me a few weeks ago! I'm trying to get healthier and loose some of the weight I've gained being happily married for the last 17 years and giving birth to two children. Most young folks don't know this, but those things come at a 'weight price', as it were.
I don't have a weight goal. It hasn't ever worked out for me in the past. Saying in my head, "I want to lose 15 pounds" has never worked out. Well, I've been talking to Valerie. She's not tearing it up in the numbers game either, if we're talking about weight. However, if we're talking about miles run in a week, she is kicking my ass. Which is SOOOOO not fair. I'm the younger sister. I've worked out off and on for the last two years. I worked out on vacation last year for cripes sake! Give me something!
So what I got, is a running goal. I'm not talking about a race or even one of those 'fun runs'; a misnomer ifn' you ask me. I'm just talking about raw ability. I have never in my life been a runner. I have my reasons. The first was exercise-induced asthma. I have conquered that. The second has been that I hate it. Well, not quite conquered that. My final reason would be natural ability. I'm just not built for running. I'm built for holding things down. I'm built for judging a donut contest. I'm built for 'bustling' in the kitchen. This running thing? I look like an over-weight Pomeranian trying to keep up with a greyhound. Really. And I'm being nice to myself here!
So, I have a plan that I printed off a web-site. I've got me some knowledge. I even rustled up a partner in crime. Now all I have to do is what the piece of paper says to do, week-by-week, and at the end, I'll be running a 5K, or to you running plebs out there, 3.1 miles. (I had to look it up 'cause I didn't know.)
Now, in addition to my 'soul searching', I was doing some 'food searching' as well. I have discovered that I eat entirely too many carbs. A few weeks ago, for a project, I was taking pictures of food in the various food categories. I couldn't find anything for that all important 'fruit/vegetable' category. This says something about a person.
So, in addition to my running thing, I'm going to do a food thing as well. Not a diet; no, never a 'diet'. Instead, I'm going to try to eat more fruits/veggies and less of my favored carbs. We'll see. I'm not sure how long I can hold out until I just have to have crackers, bread, and a granola bar, all at the same time.
Wish me luck.
Moral of the story: Don't "they" say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? I'm trying not to be insane here.
March 17
17 years ago
I am so afraid that you inherited all this from me! I like to THINK about being thinner.
ReplyDeleteI like to THINK about eating better. I like to THINK I could be exercising (in my case walking) more. But the reality of it all is that thinking does not translate into doing. I wish you better luck. You have a great support system, and maybe that will do the trick!
Don't even get me started on the whole "Muscle weighs more than fat" thing. That whole phrase was just invented by some man to stop his wife from beating the crap out of him when he told her that her butt looked big. Last week I ran 13 miles, went to yoga 3 times, lifted 40,000 pounds of weight and went swam laps for 30 minutes. Result on the scale: NOTHING! Muscle can suck my ass.
ReplyDeleteYeah, and if I hear, "knowing is half the battle" ever again I will commit homicide. So what's the other half? I only have to realize I need to be in better shape? COME ON!
ReplyDeleteWell... I am sure that Rach selling Girl Scout Cookies is not going to help. It sure isn't helping me lose my 30lbs by my 30th Bday ; ) Oh...BTW, you are NOT in this fight alone!!! I wish you luck : )
ReplyDelete